The Boatshed Venue
history

History



The Boatshed is administered by the Star Boating Club Preservation Charitable Trust whose core focus is to maintain the heritage building home of the Star Boating Club and support rowing.The Star Boating Club is understood to be the oldest surviving sports club in the North Island. The Boatshed/Star Boating Club building on the Wellington Waterfront has been home to the Club since 1886 and was registered as a Category 1 Historic Place by Historic Places Trust in June 2009.

The Star Boating Club building has been the shoreward destination for rowers since Wellington’s colonial days. A shifting presence in Wellington’s cityscape, the building has twice accompanied the tides of reclamation.

Built in 1874, it was designed to travel – being built on heavy bearers to enable it to be moved as Wellington harbour reclamations proceeded. In 1889 the building was towed behind a contractor’s steam engine onto the site adjacent to the Free Ambulance station building where it became known as Downstage Theatre on Cable Street. The final move was carried out in 1991 when The Boatshed became a focal point for the Lambton Harbour Waterfront Development along with its sister building, the Wellington Rowing Club.

To find out more about the Star Boating Club and rowing visit their website
www.starboatingclub.com

A book documenting the history of the Star Boating Club is available for sale from The Boatshed at the cost of $39.95 (plus postage). Please email us if you would like to purchase a copy of the book.Click here to send us an email.